Wednesday, July 19, 2006

A New Beginning

So, today I am recommitting myself to this blog. I hope to use it to chronicle at least one creative, inspired, or unexpected act I have done each day. An act that gives me new insight, enjoyment, fulfillment, or perspective - that makes me a better citizen, a better friend, a better husband and father, a better person. It will also hopefully serve as a prompt to engage in such an act each day. This goal - wringing something creative and meaningful out of each day - is not new for me, but recent events have given me cause to focus more on the goal.

Last week, an acquaintance of mine, Jeff Wilson, died of injuries sustained after being hit by a drunk driver. Jeff was in his early thirties (like me), was married (like me), was an attorney (like me), lived in South Austin (like me), enjoyed music (like me), enjoyed cooking (like me), and often found himself prodding others toward FUN in an attempt to make the most out of each moment of life (like me). Not surprisingly, his death has been the source of a good deal of reflection for me lately, on my life, my choices, my future. Tracking my daily efforts at LIVING (rather than existing) is one way I hope to deal with my own mortality, the mortality of those I care about, and make sure I have no regrets in life.

I don't expect anyone to give a shit about this blog, or stay perched on the edge of their seat waiting to see what dull new adventures I have embarked on. I just want, each day, to grow as a person, and I hope to use this blog to help me achieve that goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home