Friday, September 09, 2005

Topics Covered by This Blog Will Include: Food

At the risk of making this blog too Austin-centric and self-absorbed (unlike every other blog), I thought I would treat my reader(s) to a short list of some of my favorite dishes from restaurants here in Austin:

Mueller's BBQ - Chopped Beef Sandwich and Potato Salad (inexplicably, chopped beef might be my favorite form of barbecue; this sandwich is both sweet and spicy, and the potato sald is the way I like it: heavy on the mayo and whipped almost to the consistency of mashed potatoes)

Habana - Tres Leches Cake (in a town full of good Mexican food, this is the best version of the traditional three milk cake that I have found)

Hoover's - Mustard Greens (I grew up eating Southern soul food and this dish is my very favorite thing at one of my very favorite restaurants)

Gene's/Evangeline Cafe - Shrimp Po-Boy (I also grew up eating Cajun food, and Gene's and Evangeline Cafe make the most authentic po-boys in town, with French bread that is the perfect combination of flaky and chewy)

Vespaio - Risotto (everything at Vespaio is top-notch, but the risotto floating in a pool of butter makes me want to weep)

Hai Ky - Vermicelli Bowl with Eggroll and Grilled Pork (Vietnamese classic done very well - always fresh and yummy)

El Chile - Mole Enchiladas (my search for the perfect mole enchiladas may have ended here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home